CPSIA “people’s hearing” in D.C. April 1, and other protests

by Walter Olson on March 16, 2009

Coming up April 1, but not a joke: Since Henry Waxman and other CPSIA defenders on Capitol Hill are still stonewalling demands for hearings on the law’s catastrophic effects, some citizen-activists are preparing an alternative event for the nation’s capital in which persons from many affected constituencies will have a chance to tell their stories; there may also be “rally” activities, as well as events in other states for those who find it more convenient to protest there. Rick Woldenberg has details. (Update: rally now has its own site, AmendTheCpsia.com; Facebook event page]

In the powersports world, DealerNews reports that on March 19 — that’s this coming Thursday — “California motorcycle dealer and industry icon Malcolm Smith says he plans to sell kid’s ATVs and motorcycles to consumers” in defiance of the law. No word yet on whether or not PIRG or Public Citizen will try to have him arrested, but the penalties for willful violation of the law include five-year prison sentences as well as prohibitive fines. (More: Read Deputy Headmistress to learn more about Malcolm Smith and the history of kids’ dirtbiking and BMX (bicycle motocross) — Steve McQueen figures in it — as well as Sen. Klobuchar’s defense of the law)

cpsiawordcloud

Finally, those doing CPSIA activism may be interested in the colorful word-cloud poster/graphic that Whimsical Walney did up the other day.

CPSIA: a season of activism
03.19.09 at 1:19 pm
CPSIA: Congress has spoken. Now go!
03.22.09 at 8:46 pm

1 Happymom4 03.16.09 at 11:00 am

“California motorcycle dealer and industry icon Malcolm Smith says he plans to sell kid’s ATVs and motorcycles to consumers” in defiance of the law. No word yet on whether or not PIRG or Public Citizen will try to have him arrested, but the penalties for willful violation of the law include five-year prison sentences as well as prohibitive fines.”

With real life this interesting, who needs fiction?! We’ll be staying tuned!

2 Melanie 03.16.09 at 12:28 pm

Thanks for helping to spread the word about the rally! I am flying from Tulsa to attend…I hope that as many people as possible can also attend, and help us demonstrate to Congress that while some of them may think it doesn’t need to be fixed…there are thousands of us who have a different opinion…and that the effects of this law is not a hypethetical situation, but a very real world situation that we are dealing with…
I too will be watching to see what happens to Malcolm Smith this week…if he is busted, I’d be happy to send a contribution to his defense fund!

3 Emily 03.16.09 at 7:03 pm

I’m glad to hear about the rally for CPSIA. I was curious (and just asked in a comment to an ages-old post) as to why the DeMint Amendment only address the lead portion of CPSIA and doesn’t appear to address the phthalate portion. Does anyone with a greater understanding than I care to explain?

4 John 03.16.09 at 7:53 pm

I think the answer is that S.374 was introduced on February 4. At that time, CPSC interpreted the phthalate provisions of CPSIA as not retroactive, i.e. product manufactured before 2/10 did not have to comply. There was no reason to address the phthalate issue on 2/4.

The next day, February 5, the CPSC interpretation was overturned by the court, essentially giving the industry 2 business days notice that hundreds of millions of dollars (more likely billions if everything were actually accounted for) in inventory was now unsaleable.

5 Vivian Zabel 03.17.09 at 10:20 am

I’m using this post on my blog today. I’ve given credit, of course, where it belongs, and only directly copying one paragraph.

My health slowed down my participating in the fight against the CPSIA, but I had to take another swipe and to publicize the protest in D.C.

Thank you for continuing to keep the spot light on this continuing blight.