Houston: lawyer forgets his $800 jacket at airport food court

by Walter Olson on March 5, 2010

And now someone must pay [The Smoking Gun]

More: Jon Coppelman consults Ogletree’s “settlement calculator”.

William “Bill” Ogletree, Attorney At Law, Of Ogletree Abbott, LLP, Houston, Texas, Has A Problem. | Popehat
03.05.10 at 4:21 pm
My COAT! | WhiteCoat's Call Room
03.24.10 at 9:43 pm

1 marco73 03.05.10 at 9:08 am

I also love the part when he can point out the employee who waited on him, because she treated him so badly. His guy has such a chip on his shoulder that it must be a really large coat.

2 Richard Nieporent 03.05.10 at 9:16 am

One would think that avoiding the embarrassment of people finding out that a big shot lawyer is not competent enough to travel on a plane without losing his coat would be worth a lot more than $800.

3 Jim Collins 03.05.10 at 9:32 am

I’d like to see them find the coat and bill him $600 for “secure storage”.

I love how his negligence in losing the coat doesn’t count, but, their “negligence” in not finding it and keeping it for him does. Does he work for the Justice Department? I thought he might be one of those “special” lawyers that they were advertising for a few weeks ago.

4 Benjamin 03.05.10 at 9:54 am

Most places have a sign somewhere that states they are not responsible for lost or stolen items. This guy is being vexatious.

5 L. C. Burgundy 03.05.10 at 11:40 am

And wouldn’t you know, he has a full-bore obnoxious auto accident plaintiff lawyering web site. Shocking.

6 Harold K. 03.05.10 at 11:51 am

Another attorney who will never get my business.

If he is irresponsible enough to think others are responsible for his own failure, image who is at fault if a filing is late, or a phone call never returned.

7 Anonymous Attorney 03.05.10 at 12:44 pm

I think we can shorten “failure to state a cause of action” to “fail” for this one.

8 Kate 03.05.10 at 1:51 pm

Hmmm, I wonder who would be responsible if he got a rash on his behind from not wiping well enough?

9 mojo 03.05.10 at 4:36 pm

I found it. I’m keeping it. Finders keepers, schmuck.

Go ahead, sue me.

10 Ron Coleman 03.05.10 at 5:15 pm

You’re all very good with the wisecracks, but if you don’t mind, please take a second look at that letter.

That’s right. Mr. Ogletree has got his own stationery.

Back. Off.

11 Paul 03.05.10 at 5:37 pm

I found who the non-responsible party was. It is quite obvious that Mr. Bill Ogletree should have secured this valuable coat.

I would think that all the other people that have their names on the letterhead with him would point out that he is making them all look stupid by association.

Maybe the airport should require him to submit written proof of where he abandoned the coat. Of course this would require names, addresses and signatures by at least three witness giving the exact location description that they saw said coat. Since he is not even sure of the name of the restaurant he ate at, I doubt he has the names of the three closest people that sat next to him. But if he does, he has a case……

12 Bumper 03.05.10 at 6:44 pm

In the ten years since the cause of the Streisand Effect was isolated, one would think that a person who was successful enough to have his own stationery would be aware of its ravages.

Guess not.

13 John Burgess 03.05.10 at 7:16 pm

News Flash: Three-year-old brother of teen who found abandoned leather coat at airport strangles in sleeve! Negligent homicide charges pondered by DA!

14 gitarcarver 03.05.10 at 7:41 pm

It is my understanding that Ogletree has left his firm and has filed papers to create his new law firm with ex-judge Roy Pearson. The new partnership, The Pear Tree Law Firm, is expected to open offices soon.

15 Jason Barney 03.06.10 at 12:06 am

From his letter, “…suit will be filed in Harris County, Texas, against all three entities. Then, all of you can have your lawyers blame each other in court…”

No, you knucklehead: they’ll blame you, as they should for your own negligence in failing to secure your own belongings. Get a life.

16 Platy 03.06.10 at 3:29 am

$800 for a Polo coat? For that kind of dough I’d want a brand you can’t buy at Macy’s.

17 Bill Poser 03.06.10 at 4:21 am

It looks to me like Mr. Ogletree has confessed in writing to littering.

18 Melissa 03.07.10 at 10:15 am

I think this guy just wants a new coat. Despite his failure at securing his own property who is to say the silly coat cost $800 in the first place. I think he should get over it and eat the cost like the rest of common sense abiding citizens do. Besides its been nearly 3 months and still no lawsuit I doubt he got his new jacket either. But hey you never know Airlines don’t want to lose business so they may pay it out to keep away from the bad press. A lot of good that did them.

19 captnhal 03.08.10 at 7:40 am

Other than Ogletree’s word, how do we know that he ever owned such a coat, that he took said coat to the airport and left it there, and that it’s worth $800 in used condition?

It looks like he wants money without living up to his end of the burden of proof.

Perhaps it’s just me, but the more expensive an item I own, the more likely I am to take better care of it.

20 Dan 03.08.10 at 11:44 am

I’d like to see him brought up on an ethics charge for a frivolous demand letter, and be sentenced to sit through a 1L Property lecture on bailments.