Can’t make ‘em up dept.

by Walter Olson on May 7, 2010

Germany: “Teacher with rabbit phobia to sue 14-year-old for drawing bunny.” The educator “says she was traumatized by the drawing, and claims the girl knew it would terrify her.” [Telegraph]

Nathan Shumate » Blog Archive » Best. Headline. Ever.
05.07.10 at 12:58 pm
Bunny Phobia – BrizBunny
05.11.10 at 8:08 am

1 Richard Nieporent 05.07.10 at 4:22 am

Is she related to Jimmy Carter? :)

2 Carey Gage 05.07.10 at 9:02 am

Must have been a very realistic bunny picture. Maybe the student could satisfy his or her potential liability by drawing some equally realistic pictures of money.

3 KDP 05.07.10 at 9:15 am

Sounds like a teacher wanting an early retirement. Do you suppose she got her phobia after watching that Monty Python movie?

4 John Burgess 05.07.10 at 10:25 am

I’ll have to assume that come Easter time, said teacher spends a few weeks in bed, no? And however can she survive in a country that dotes on Beatrix Potter and her zoophilia, where Peter Rabbit is likely to be popping out of any old cabbage patch at any old time?

5 gitarcarver 05.07.10 at 10:48 am

Gratuitous Monty Python and the Holy Grail reference:

TIM: Behold the cave of Kyre Banorg!
ARTHUR: Right! Keep me covered.
KNIGHT: What with?
ARTHUR: Just keep me covered.
TIM: Too late!
[chord]
ARTHUR: What?
TIM: There he is!
ARTHUR: Where?
TIM: There!
ARTHUR: What, behind the rabbit?
TIM: It is the rabbit!
ARTHUR: You silly sod! You got us all worked up!
TIM: Well, that’s no ordinary rabbit. That’s the most foul, cruel,
and bad-tempered rodent you ever set eyes on.
ROBIN: You tit! I soiled my armor I was so scared!
TIM: Look, that rabbit’s got a vicious streak a mile wide, it’s a
killer!
KNIGHT: Get stuffed!
TIM: It’ll do you a trick, mate!
KNIGHT: Oh, yeah?
ROBIN: You mangy Scot git!
TIM: I’m warning you!
ROBIN: What’s he do, nibble your bum?
TIM: He’s got huge, sharp– he can leap about– look at the bones!
ARTHUR: Go on, Boris. Chop his head off!
BORIS: Right! Silly little bleeder. One rabbit stew comin’ right up!
TIM: Look!
[squeak]
BORIS: Aaaugh!
[chord]
ARTHUR: Jesus Christ!
TIM: I warned you!
ROBIN: I peed again!
TIM: I warned you! But did you listen to me? Oh, no, you knew it all, didn’t you? Oh, it’s just a harmless little bunny, isn’t it? Well,
it’s always the same, I always–
ARTHUR: Oh, shut up!
TIM: –But do they listen to me?–
ARTHUR: Right!
TIM: -Oh, no–

6 ras 05.07.10 at 12:25 pm

I was gonna ask if Cleese et al would be named as co-defendants. In his defense against such a German lawsuit, I should note that he did mention the war, but only a little.

7 John 05.07.10 at 7:20 pm

come on, the teacher obviously had a traumatic childhood.

8 Bumper 05.08.10 at 2:03 am

Monty Python, et al, did do a couple of shows in Germany.

9 VMS 05.08.10 at 4:47 am

Elmer Fudd says: “Be vewy quiet; I’m hunting wabbits!”

10 Norman Teigen 05.08.10 at 5:25 pm

I made a teacher aware of this strange occurrence. She said that the child should be held accountable for her action because she knew that the teacher was vulnerable. The child could be held, I suppose, morally responsible for causing the teacher to flip out. Of course, the litigation seems strange, but the teacher makes a valid point.

11 Dennis 05.10.10 at 12:36 pm

A f(r)iend searched for the German articles and it seems that the teacher is suing against the rumours that she is mortally afraid of bunnies and wants to stop the girl from her former school telling such stories.

Sorry, no cite, but there mnay be more and less to this than meets the eye. It does seem a futile way to skotch a rumor – by publishing it.

12 Tom T. 05.11.10 at 4:10 pm

Don’t let her watch “Donnie Darko.”