Mark Lanier’s 2010 Christmas party

by Ted Frank on November 8, 2010

After appearing on a television program with him a couple of months ago, I received an invitation to Mark Lanier’s Christmas party (special guest Sting):
Mark Lanier Christmas party ferris wheel invitation

The non-transferable invitation consists of a booklet with a password; and, most strikingly, a metal wind-up toy Ferris wheel, about seven inches in diameter. (I have not investigated whether the Ferris wheel is CPSIA-compliant.)

Should I go? I’m charmed by the hospitality, but I don’t have a date, and, moreover, it’s kind of blood Christmas cheer. (On the other hand, in the words of a former CCAF attorney, “Think of it as a modest tort tax refund.”)

1 Greg Dwyer 11.08.10 at 9:30 am

As the invitation was not intended for a child, I do not believe CPSIA applies

2 John Burgess 11.08.10 at 9:37 am

Oh, but any reasonable person could conclude that the recipient of such a toy would pass it on to a child. Or, in the alternative, that the presence of such a toy would be an attractive nuisance to any child within 10 feet of it!

3 gitarcarver 11.08.10 at 11:30 am

Go to the party and give out gift certificates for your new book.

That’ll show ‘em. ;)

4 Ted Frank 11.08.10 at 11:32 am

I should also note that the Ferris wheel comes with a detachable key, and there is no warning on the package not to let small children play with it, lest they swallow and choke on the key.

5 Jim Collins 11.08.10 at 2:21 pm

Get a kid to choke on the Ferris wheel key and sue him.

6 bob lipton 11.08.10 at 2:37 pm

Sue on behalf of the class.

Bob

7 Doug 11.08.10 at 4:29 pm

Oh, just go. Sounds like a great party.

8 AMcA 11.09.10 at 10:28 am

Just go collect your tax refund, and report back in nauseating detail the excesses of big-time plaintiffs’ bar entertaining. And finding a date shouldn’t be that hard – Mr. Lanier’s entertainments are legendary, and I’m sure there are lots of nice young ladies (or young men, as you prefer) who would go along just to revel in the excess.

9 Another guy named Dan 11.09.10 at 6:20 pm

We so need to take up a collection to have the Ferris wheel tested for leaded brass in the clockwork mechanism or if a lead-bearing pot metal was used anywhere in the construction (especially if the key is cast or brazed together).

10 Karen 12.04.10 at 3:01 pm

Why are you hating in a guy who is trying to raise money for the underprivileged? You should donate money and take the party for what it is — a good fundraiser!

11 Ted Frank 12.05.10 at 7:30 am

I understand Bernie Madoff gave a lot of money to charity, too. I hope that doesn’t preclude me from criticizing Madoff over things he did wrong.

Anyway, a series of court deadlines precludes me from going, but I hope to make it next year. I hope Karen has a good time at the party, and I hope the party raises a lot for charity.