U.K.: “Roadblocks set up to catch drivers smoking”

by Walter Olson on March 4, 2011

Authorities in Essex say they will check ashtrays and impose fines over smoking in company cars and commercial vehicles, which has been banned in England since 2007. [Telegraph via Stuttaford, NRO] We may need to develop a new terminology here: was Nanny herself ever so bossy and intrusive?

1 L Nettles 03.04.11 at 9:05 am

Nanny wants you to litter. No butts in the ashtray. Heck Nanny doesn’t want vehicles to have ashtrays

2 Bill 03.04.11 at 12:48 pm

Maybe somebody has already come up with this -
Let’s call them “butt checks”

3 Mannie 03.04.11 at 1:28 pm

Throw the lit butts out the window.

4 mojo 03.04.11 at 3:54 pm

Look for a large increase in wildfires…

5 Ben S 03.04.11 at 4:00 pm

Nothing I enjoy more than renting a “non-smoking” car (/hotel room) while on a trip and having to suffer through the lightly covered odors (odours in this case?) of its previous occupants. Can’t say I blame smokers for not wanting to be around other smokers’ residue either. And of course it was like that when they got there, too, right?

6 James 03.05.11 at 3:04 am

7 nevins 03.05.11 at 4:19 pm

“This enforcement puts some teeth behind a legitimate public health initiative. Swing and a miss on this one, Olson.”
What James? Unless you are trying to convey sarcasm…

What is the public health concern that is sufficient to warrant the government snooping into private cars. The data for smoking causing direct harm to people outside the care are scant.
If someone smokes in a rental, then that should be a simple civil matter, charging their credit card for the few hundred dollar deep cleaning required. Do we really need the state to enforce with police and courts every detail of every little contract.

8 Mark Phaedrus 03.05.11 at 9:23 pm

Not only that, James, but the fact that my hypothetical ashtray has hypothetical cigarette butts doesn’t even mean that I’m smoking in my hypothetical car… I could be stepping outside the car for a smoke and then putting the butts in my ashtray to avoid violating the littering laws.

9 Frank 03.07.11 at 9:33 am

There is no legitimate public health concern arising from the smoking of cigarettes in cars.

“The data for smoking causing direct harm to people outside the care are scant.”

I venture here to say non-existent.