Colorado: $7.2 million award in claim of “popcorn lung”

by Walter Olson on September 22, 2012

The lung disorder bronchiolitis obliterans has been diagnosed in food processing workers who regularly breathed in the flavoring chemical diacetyl, but this was a claim of consumer, not occupational, exposure; Wayne Watson’s physician testified that he suffered lung damage after years of regularly consuming microwave popcorn. The jury found the Kroger supermarket chain as well as the popcorn manufacturer liable for not warning of the potential problem. “An attorney for the defendants had told jurors that Watson’s health problems were from his years of using dangerous chemicals as a carpet cleaner.” [Reuters]

{ 1 comment }

1 Jesse Spurway 09.25.12 at 7:54 am

I don’t eat microwave popcorn, but I have to endure the smell of burnt popcorn at least once a week. Maybe Pastis is on to something.

Comments on this entry are closed.