“USPS To Destroy ‘Just Move’ Stamps Over Safety Concerns”

by Walter Olson on October 10, 2013

CannonballStampYou might think this was a parody, but apparently not. The federal government has ordered the destruction of a series of fifteen postage stamps intended to get kids to be more active after sports safety advocates said three of the stamps raised safety concerns, including illustrations depicting kids “skateboarding without kneepads, and doing a headstand without a helmet.” [Postal News]

My own view is that if you’re learning proper skateboarding technique off a postage stamp, you’re doing it wrong. (& Scott Shackford, Reason)

Reactions via Twitter: “One can understand the recall after the disastrous spate of upside-down plane crashes in 1918.” [@tedfrank] “I wonder how they missed the one with explosives on it” [@Bert_Huggins] “USPS thinks kids know what stamps are.” [@UlyssesHL]

Power Mad – quincunx - My Telegraph
10.10.13 at 1:38 pm
When Postage Stamps Are Too Dangerous for Children’s Eyes - Hit & Run : Reason.com
10.10.13 at 3:42 pm

1 gasman 10.10.13 at 2:43 pm

Because when I need parenting guidance, I look to the US Postal Service to show me the way.
What were they thinking when they issued the Indianapolis 500 stamp showing a speeding car with no airbags, and dozens of other safety violations. http://media.nola.com/business_impact/photo/9154079-large.jpg

2 Tom Kiefer 10.10.13 at 2:53 pm

An rather insightful (if blunt) commentary on just this sort of trend: http://themattwalshblog.com/2013/10/08/its-not-the-schools-fault-if-your-kid-is-a-lazy-wuss/

3 Tom Kiefer 10.10.13 at 3:04 pm

BTW, you can see the full sheet of “Just Move” stamps at http://www.stampnewsnow.com/generateditems/2013%20USPS%20ImagesWeb/13-justmove.jpg

4 Cloudesley Shovell 10.10.13 at 3:51 pm

If a few of those stamps sneak past the destruction order, collectors will go nuts. Then maybe in 95 years, if the USPS still exists, they can reissue the stamps in a new denomination in an effort however futile to make some money. It’ll be the Inverted Jenny all over again.

5 Ethan 10.10.13 at 4:04 pm

But the children!

6 D 10.10.13 at 4:34 pm

I would think that the Post Office would stick to their strengths – postage stamps on how to run from dogs, shoulder heavy burdens, bend at the knees to peak through front door mail slots, drive outside the white lines, and aim at coworkers.

7 Janet Tedesco 10.10.13 at 7:39 pm

How do you do a head stand with a helmet on? I never heard of such a thing. Why is a cannon ball jump into a pool a safety hazard?

8 ras 10.10.13 at 10:36 pm

the old Prussian helmets were pretty good for headstands. hard to stop, tho.

9 Bill Poser 10.11.13 at 12:50 am

Kneepads for skateboarding? I can see that if you’re doing extreme tricks, but for ordinary skateboarding that’s ridiculous.